A Guide to Classic Who references in New Who episodes.
[1ST] - The first appearance of things in Doctor Who series.
[OLD] - Things that first appeared in the classic series (or the film.)
- [1ST] First appearance of Rose Tyler.
- [1ST] First appearance of Jackie Tyler.
- [1ST] First appearance of Mikey Smith.
- [OLD] The Autons (living plastic creatures) previously appeared in two third Doctor stories: "Spearhead from Space" & "Terror of the Autons."
- [OLD] The Doctor (First Appearance "An Unearthly Child"; last previous appearance "DOCTOR WHO") obviously, is an ongoing character, but...
- [1ST] This is the first appearance of this incarnation (the 9th official incarnation shown).
- [OLD] The Sonic Screwdriver (FA: "Fury of the Deep"; LPA: "DOCTOR WHO") the Doctor's favourite tool
- [OLD] Speed Reading - The 4th incarnation of the Doctor displayed this ability in "City of Death."
- [OLD] The Doctor checks his appearance in the mirror suggesting that he has recently regenerated (changed appearance), or has not had the chance to check his appearance since the last change.
- [OLD] The Doctor's Name: "Doctor What?" "Just the Doctor."
- [OLD] The TARDIS, (FA: "An Unearthly Child"; LPA: "DOCTOR WHO") the Doctor's primary means of conveyance, capable of time & space travel.
- [OLD] "Who is Doctor Who?" a rare example of the usage
- [1ST] The events that Clive documents (Kennedy, the Titanic and Krakatoa) are new since they feature the ninth incarnation. Whether they happened before this story, during it or after is unknown. Note: Clive specifically notes the date of the Kennedy assasination November the 22nd, 1963. The first episode of Doctor Who first aired the following day.
- [1ST] The Doctor was not shown to have met Genghis Khan, but he was referenced in dialogue previously.
- [OLD] Nestene Consciousness previously appeared in two third Doctor stories: Spearhead from Space & Terror of the Autons.
- [1ST] Anti-plastic.
- [1ST] The Shadow Proclamation.
- [1ST] Warp Shunt Technology, first mention, possibly for the "shunt off" joke.
- [1ST] The War. The Doctor has been in Wars before, but this is the seed for later stories.
10. TARDIS: The TARDIS is used for spacial travel in the story. Time travel is mentioned at the end. 
9. Meeting Yourself: No one tries. [X]
8. Non-sequiturs: The Doctor's full of them. 
7. Serious/Frivolous: Shows aspects of both personality. 
6. Series Final: This is the pilot. [X]
5. Companion: Rose, contemporary British female. (contemporary London story). 
4. Emotionless: The Autons are mindless. The Nestene Consciousness is emotional. [X]
3. Title Spoilers: Rose appears from the beginning. 
2. The Threat: The Doctor was aware of the threat before the episode begins. He does eventually explain the truth behind it. [.5]
1. Last of It's Kind: All the Nestene's protein planets were destroyed (making it last of it's kind?). The Doctor tries not to be more dangerous than it, but fails.