A Guide to Classic Who references in New Who episodes.
The Doctor helps Rose make a personal visit - to the day her father died.
Warning: May contain Spoilers for
- 1-01 "Rose" (Suggested viewing - introduction of characters.)
[1ST] - The first appearance of things in Doctor Who series.
[OLD] - Things that first appeared in the classic series (or the film.) Episode List.
- [OLD] 1987 AD - The year that Ace, the final companion of the classic series was caught in a timestorm and ended up on Svartos where she met the Doctor.
- [OLD] Two sets of the same people - Multiple versions of the same people have appeared together before, especially multiple version (different regenerations) of the Doctor in The Three Doctors (Third Doctor story featuring the Second Doctor and appearances by the First), The Five Doctors (Fifth Doctor story featuring the First, Second and Third Doctors and an appearance by the Fourth) and the Two Doctors (Sixth Doctor story featuring the Second Doctor.) A significant appearance by two versions of a companion was the Brigadier in the Fifth Doctor story Mawdryn Undead, where there is an energy discharge and memory loss associated with meeting yourself, which is called the Blinovitch Limitation Effect.
- [1ST] Reapers - First appearance, explained by the Doctor as occuring because the Timelords are gone. They are have a lot of similarities to the Chronovores from the Third Doctor story: The Time Monster humanoid creatures that feed on time.
10. TARDIS: The TARDIS is used to travel to the same time period a number of times, causing a wound in time. 
9. Meeting Yourself: The Doctor warns Rose a number of times not to touch herself. She accidentally does later. 
8. Non-sequiturs: Yes. 
7. Serious/Frivolous: Shows aspects of both personality. 
6. Series Final: This is not a series final. [X]
5. Companion: Rose, contemporary British female. (Recent past British story). 
4. Emotionless: The Reapers are animalistic rather than emotionless. 
3. Title Spoilers: Not really a spoiler, but a nice reference. 
2. The Threat: The viewer has glimpses of the Reapers before the Doctor sees them. The Doctor realises what they are and has to explain. 
1. Last of It's Kind: No last of their kind, besides the Doctor. The Doctor does bring up the death of his people a number of times this episode.